Find Early Adopters with these Popular Ways
Now that you know the concept, let’s look at the interesting ways to find your early adopters.
Following are the top 6 ways to find the early adopters:
1. Social Networks
Pros of using these networks – a big audience base
Cons of using these networks – a lot of effort to find the right groups
Following are the ways to use these networks for finding early adopters:
You can get a good deal of data about your target audience by observing the hashtags used by them. Make a list of the users who are using the hashtags related to your idea/ solution. You can also look at the other hashtags used by the same users to gain more insights about what excites them, their likes, motivation, etc.
Tools like Hashtagify help you to search for any hashtags on twitter and Instagram and explore popularity. Using this tool you can also track any influencer on twitter for new ideas and inspiration.
Note the following points while approaching the groups:
- First observe what the active users in the group post – their interests, advice.
- Then observe the group followers – their needs, problems, what truly matters to them.
- Finally, you start to deliver the right content & provide support to the seekers based on the observations you have made. Again, once you build credibility in the group, you can pitch your solution and ask for opinions. The early adopters might be just waiting to pay you for your solution or provide valuable insights for you to improve upon.
Influencers can prove to be quite effective in reaching out to the early adopters. The idea is to know what is loved or needed by the followers by looking at the influencers and how they influence the market.
Tools such as Facebook Insights, Followerwonk can be used to search & analyze the influencers.
Followerwonk is a tool using which you can search for bios of people on twitter. You can type words that you like to search for and it will give the list of people having those words in their profiles. The number of followers and the social authority index will also be displayed for each on the list.
Allmytweets is another powerful tool that tells you all the tweets of a particular user. When used with Followerwonk, it may help you to arrive at your target fast.
These are tools that you may like to use for direct feedback from people about your solution or providing them the channel to reach you. Examples are Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Twitter messages, etc.
Web forums, slack channels, and Reddit are great places to find the early adopters. Many entrepreneurs think that they are effective during the growth phase while the truth is they are a goldmine even during your ‘early adopters’ search phase.
You will have the following takeaways when you increase your presence at these online places:
- You get many chances to come in contact with the early adopters who are proactively searching for solutions to problems at these platforms and forums that you are trying to solve.
- You get valuable feedback from these early adopters for improving your offered solution. This not only helps you to refine it for the early adopters but also contributes to making your solution acceptable to the majority of the population during the following stages by helping you to better understand the problems and needs of the users.
How to find a community?
Follow these 3 simple steps to find such communities:
Step 1 – Online Search
You do not have to do a lot of hard work in finding it. You can easily get the details through Google by typing “your target audience” followed by “the name of the channel”.
For example, if you are building something for people learning to code, you can type [“coders”] [“Reddit”] on Google and find the relevant links. Similarly, you can find the links for other channels like slack and forums.
There are many communities dedicated to niches like Instructables where you can get your early adopters interested in DIY stuff.
Step 2 – Once you find the right community for you, start increasing your activity on such communities by answering the questions that people look for & sharing relevant content. This helps you to build your credibility.
Step 3 – Now you can reach out with your product to other users on such platforms and ask for their opinions. If they themselves are looking for such products or feel excited about it, they may turn out to be your early adopters.
Remember that your top priority is to find a niche community. For example, in Reddit, you need to find niche SubReddits.
Communities can help you crack your early adopters if you know how to use it. An example is a startup, Savonbox that managed to get over 10,000 people to their site along with 4000+ upvotes from a single Reddit post.
Emailing is also a powerful way to reach the early adopters for your startup. You already have this resource so why not use it to your advantage!
In the beginning, you may get the email list of the people in your network through Linkedin. Your network may be close connections including present & former co-workers or distant connections including professionals from the same industry as yours.
You can either:
- Cold-email those contacts or
- Reach to your prospects through a chain of connections over LinkedIn.
Cold emailing is not quite an effective option to reach your audience as the decision-makers receive tons of emails on a daily basis and you may not be able to find your place in the emails that are clicked and considered.
Getting a connection who may connect you to your prospects or the connections of your prospects can work better.
Though blogging is an activity that demands your effort, it ultimately yields expected results. Blogging can be done in two ways:
- At your own site
- Guest Blogging
At own Site
When you do blogging at your own site, you aim to deliver content that ranks well in the search. Following are the basic points that you may take note of:
- Provides relevant information based on your expertise
- Provide detailed content (1500-2000 words long)
- Shared on social media platforms
- Satisfy the readers’ thirst by providing a detailed blog on the questions they look for on platforms like Quora, Reddit, etc.
- See the keywords that you wish to rank. Then search for those keywords and analyze the top 10 results obtained from the search. Create value by adding something useful & that missed by those top 10 search results.
Guest blogging helps you to:
- Get exposure on other platforms
- Get backlinks
- Increase brand awareness
You can analyze the content of the guest bloggers in your niche and see the type of content that ranks. After analyzing, you can write the content that provides more value and pitch to the sites that invite guest bloggers.
Generally, the idea behind guest blogging is to gain exposure and let people know about you and your own site. By guest posting, you may divert people to your site only when you have something meaningful and valuable to offer. Your readers may not stay for long with you if you fail to deliver a needed content on regular basis.
5. Soft Launch
A soft launch is a release of your product to a limited audience with a purpose to introduce yourself and get valuable feedback from an engaged audience.
Apart from getting early adopters for your startup, when you soft-launch your product or service on platforms like ProductHunt, HackerNews, you also get much valuable feedback. Based on those feedbacks, you can iterate and fix the things that don’t work or aren’t of any value to the users.
You can plan your soft launch in the following way:
- First, become a part of the community on platforms where you wish to soft launch. Angelists, Betapage, Betalist, Product Hunt, Hackernews, Bootstrappers, Betabound are a few of such platforms.
- Also, become a part of Subreddit community in your related niche.
- Plan & announce your launch on social media platforms
- Finally, launch
- Get engaged with the comments you receive after launch. Answer the solution-seekers proactively.
6. Other Routes
- Conferences, exhibitions, product introduction through the route of influencers, other bloggers, etc. are also some of the ways by which you can acquire early adopters or get feedback if you are dealing with a physical product.
- Building your own site and an impressive landing page can also be used to attract early adopters to some extent. Your landing page should:
- Display a strong value proposition which is the value you promise to deliver to your prospects.
- Tell the function of your product or service that is what your product does.
- A loud call to action that guides your audience to take the intended action. It tells them what they should do on the landing page.
- Show social proof that your product is liked by people. It creates a large impact on the conversion rate. Provely, Fomo and many other similar platforms provide a ‘real-time social proof’ feature to sites.
To Wrap Up
In this article, we saw the different routes through which we can find our early adopters. Social Networks, Communities, Emails, Blogs, and Soft-Lunch are the most popular directions you can proceed in to search the early adopters for your startup.
Do you feel there is something more to be included? Kindly write to us. We will be more than happy to consider your valuable suggestions.