Different Applications of Augmented Reality
Though the commercial journey of Augmented Reality started with gaming and entertainment businesses, it is now starting to gain popularity in several other industries and professions. Applications of Augmented Reality aren’t just in the new products that are being developed by the organizations; its potential is also being leveraged to improve the internal processes and training methodologies within the companies.
One of the biggest advantages of AR lies in its ability to bring real experience to businesses, or individuals, that is independent of any geographical boundaries.
AR has reached a point where it can provide solutions that were beyond imagination a few years ago.
Here are ten interesting applications of augmented reality that suggest how technology is transforming the way of doing business.
Real Estate 3D Models & Interior Designs
One of the foremost applications of augmented reality has emerged in the real estate sector where AR is helping consumers visualize the space and providing them the experience at par with the real world or sometimes even better.
- By presenting a complete virtual tour of the property, AR literally puts the consumer in space of interest.
- It also helps to visualize the three-dimensional models of properties yet to be built.
- Apart from consumers, AR is also helping professionals visualize their designs during planning. City planners can model the layouts of entire cities and go for a tour.
AR provides an immersive learning experience for children of all ages by offering a deeper & clearer understanding of subjects like astrophysics, music, etc.
Ed-Tech Industry is growing at a tremendous pace of 18% and the contribution of AR in education cannot be ignored.
- Dynamic 3D models can help educators to engage students effectively during lectures.
- Visualization capabilities of AR can benefit learners through digital rendering; bringing the concept to reality.
- Students have the advantage to access information at any point in time and place.
Mondly is one such AR technology-based language-learning app that provides such a feature.
AR is also ready to disrupt the retail industry due to many limitations that this industry has when it comes to solving customers’ pains.
- AR enables us to feel and try the products before shopping. We can try wearable products like clothes, shoes, etc. while sitting at our home. Vyking, for example, allows customers to try on a pair of shoes using just the Smartphone screen.
- Sometimes we hesitate to buy products like furniture, home décor, and related items simply because we wish to know the compatibility of such products with our home ambiance or check if the item would fit in the space. AR makes such a thing possible. Home supply store Lowe’s is using AR that allows customers to check if the items, such as grills, would fit in the desired space. IKEA, a popular furniture brand is also deploying AR for its customers.
AR is disrupting the healthcare sector by enabling interactive 3D imaging of complex medical concepts.
- With AR, surgeons can access the desired information and images in 3D within their field of view while performing procedures. Many startups are building AR technologies related to 3D medical imaging to enable specific surgeries.
- AR is also helping medical experts to easily communicate ailments to patients and trainees using 3D views.
- Organs can be visualized in 3D from all angles using AR. This increases the success ratio of surgeons while performing surgeries.
One of the many promising applications of augmented reality is in the maintenance of machines. Augmented reality is a great tool that makes the maintenance of buildings and products very effective.
- 3D animations in service manuals based on AR can greatly help to understand the functioning of machines and their components, making their maintenance quite easy.
- Companies providing Annual Maintenance Contracts or machine manufacturers can remotely assist the customers in machine repair or maintenance.
- It also helps to assist maintenance workers undergoing training by helping them to find the correct information on machine parts.
AR is a great tool to train manpower especially in areas where the job is sensitive or complex.
Heavy Machinery –AR-based goggles and tablets help to easily identify technical information related to heavy machines by overlaying information onto such machines, thereby helping to reduce errors. Using AR, Lockheed has been able to reduce the assembly time by 30%.
Hospitality – Sometimes, the new hires feel stressed while serving guests in restaurants or retail. AR-powered training simulates real-world situations to train the recruits.
Oil & Gas – On-the-Job training has been a norm of this industry though there are dangers associated with handling equipment; especially those related to oil & gas. AR can help to reduce such dangers by creating simulations of the real-world environment. Shell & BP have started using AR in their operations.
Sometimes using a GPS can be dangerous especially while traveling to new unknown places as it creates distractions. Sensor-based smart glasses powered by AR can be helpful in such situations as it enables the driver to keep a track of the route without the need to look around.
Sygic is an app that safely guides you to your destination using a virtual path with high-quality 3D maps.
AR-based marketing can create a lasting experience for consumers as compared to static marketing techniques. Marketers can use AR to create a completely new experience through 3D animations and videos included in their AR-based marketing mediums like brochures, posters, and even storefronts.
Food and beverage
AR in the food industry is creating a joyful experience for customers by helping them to get detailed information on the nutritional value of food items and their ingredients in restaurants.
To Wrap Up
As this technology evolves, its applications in different industries continue to unfold. Augmented reality has the potential to solve problems and enhance user-experience in almost every industry. The increasing investment in AR-based tech solutions will soon make it an indispensable part of the tech economy.
Do you feel there is something more to be included? Kindly write to us. We will be more than happy to consider your valuable suggestions.